Gerald H. May, PE
Gerald May has over 45 years of diverse experience in piping engineering. He has engineered piping systems for new and retrofit coal fired, gas fired, nuclear and solar powered electric generating units; refineries, petrochemical plants, pulp and paper plants, pipelines and even a nerve gas detoxification unit. Responding to some significant piping failures in the 1980’s, his work expanded into evaluation and inspection of existing piping systems at many of the same types of facilities. This perspective of knowing how piping systems are designed and operated, and the problems that develop after decades of operation results in an understanding of how Piping Engineering should be performed – and the ramifications if inappropriate steps are taken.
Currently Mr. May is a Senior Engineer working with Structural Integrity Associates in Houston, Texas. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B.S. Aerospace Engineering, University of Kansas 1971
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Kansas 1972
Professional Engineer Registration
• Piping Layout at Combined Cycle Plants: Lessons Learned, Power Gen, Orlando, FL, Dec. 2018
• Maintaining Piping and Support Systems, CEP Magazine June 2005
• The Need for In-Situ Pipe Support Testing, ASME Power Division Special Section, Energy-Tech.com, February 2005
• Integration of Mechanical Integrity into the Design and Construction Project Phases, AIChE Spring National Meeting, April 2001
• Development of 20 Year Plans for Inspection and Maintenance of High Temperature Equipment, co-author with Andrew Srubar of LCRA, Power- Gen 2000, Orlando, Florida
• How to Prevent Re-Work During a Plant Turn-Around, AIChE, Spring National Meeting, Session 37, March 1997
• Comparison of NDE and Metallurgical Condition of High Energy Steam Piping at Various Power Plants, co-author with Chuck Hancock, Texas Utilities and Lange Kimball, Brown & Root Power, EPRI Computer-Assisted Technologies for NDE and Plant Monitoring Workshop, Aug. 1992, Phil., PA
• Examination of Riser Clamps on High-Temperature Piping, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, May 1991, Vol 113, Page 337.
• On-Line Vibration Measurement of a Nuclear Reactor During Hot Functional Testing, co-author with D.E. Thoren & J.C. Simonis, IEEE Conference 1973, Albuquerque, NM